Vikram Vij's coconut curried vegetables
From Vij's Elegant & Inspired Indian Cuisine by Vikram Vij and Meeru Dhalwala
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) canola oil
- 25 to 30 fresh curry leaves (available at Indian and south Asian grocers)
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) black mustard seeds
- 225 g (1-1/2 cups) finely chopped onion (2 medium)
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) + 5 ml (1 tsp) chopped garlic
- 400 g (2 cups) chopped tomatoes (2 large)
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) ground cumin
- 5 ml (1 tsp) turmeric
- 2.5 ml (1/2 tsp) ground cayenne pepper
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) salt
- 2/5 ml (1/2 tsp) ground black pepper
- 355 ml (12 oz) can coconut milk, stirred
- 454 g (1 lb) eggplant, cubed
- 454 g (1 lb) cauliflower, cut in florets
- 340 g (3/4 lb) red, green and/or yellow
- peppers, cubed
- 20 g (3/4 cup) chopped cilantro
- 750-1000 g (3-4 cups) cooked basmati rice
In a large pot, heat oil on medium heat for 1 minute. Add curry leaves and mustard seeds and let them sizzle for about 1 minute, or until just a few mustard seeds start to pop.
Add onions and sauté until golden brown, about 8 minutes. Add garlic and sauté for 2 minutes. Add tomatoes, cumin, turmeric, cayenne, salt and black pepper. Sauté the resulting masala mixture for 5 to 8 minutes or until the oil glistens on top.
Stir in coconut milk. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to medium-low. Add eggplant, cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Add cauliflower and bell peppers, cover and cook for 5 minutes more. Stir in cilantro.
To serve: ladle curry over the rice.