Rod Butters' signature steak sandwich recipe
Bacon, brioche and crab make "the RJB" amazing
From The Okanagan Table by Rod Butters
Named after Chef Rod Butters, this take on the classic steak sandwich features bacon, brioche, crab and caramelized onion jam.
- 2 (5-oz) beef tenderloin steaks
- 2 brioche buns, halved lengthwise
- 2 Tbsp mayonnaise
- ¼ cup caramelized onion jam (see recipe to the right)
- 2 oz crabmeat, warmed in 1 Tbsp melted butter
- 1 oz Tyrolean-style cured bacon or prosciutto
- Roasted potatoes and roasted whole mushrooms, to serve
Preheat BBQ to medium-high heat. Grill the steaks for 5 to 7 minutes, flip, and cook 4 to 6 minutes, until medium rare. (Alternatively, pan-fry over medium-high for 5 to 7 minutes per side.)
Transfer the steaks to a plate and rest for 3 to 5 minutes. Place the buns, face side down, on the grill and toast. Spread the mayonnaise on the bottom half of each bun and onion jam on the other.
Drain some of the butter from the warmed crab and spoon the crab on one side of the brioche. Add the beef and cured bacon. Serve with roasted potatoes and roasted whole mushrooms.
Caramelized onion jam
- ½ cup grapeseed oil
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- 1 medium white onion, sliced
- 1 medium red onion, sliced
- 1 medium sweet onion (such as Vidalia or Walla Walla), sliced
- 2 medium shallots (chopped)
- ½ medium leek, sliced
- 8 cloves garlic, chopped
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp ground allspice
- ½ cup balsamic vinegar
- 3 Tbsp parsley, chopped
- Sea salt and coarsely ground and black pepper
Heat a large pot over medium heat and add the oil and butter. Once melted, add the onions, shallots, leeks, and garlic and sauté for 15 to 20 minutes, until caramelized (lower heat if necessary to prevent burning).
Add the sugar, allspice and vinegar; reduce heat to low and cook for another 10 minutes.
Transfer the mixture to a food processor and process until evenly chopped and slightly chunky.
Transfer to a bowl, add parsley and season to taste with salt and pepper. Refrigerate until needed, up to 7 days. Makes 3 cups.