Meet NAIT's 2017 Hokanson Chef in Residence
Canadian-born, New York-based chef Amanda Cohen owns Dirt Candy, an acclaimed restaurant featuring only vegetables. She’ll be sharing her veggie secrets with NAIT culinary students as the Hokanson Chef in Residence, March 6 to 10, 2017.
- She’s not a vegetarian, though she used to be. And she loves vegetables, of course.
- She eliminated tipping at Dirt Candy in January, 2015, making it the first restaurant in New York City to do so.
- She was the first vegetarian chef to appear on the popular TV show, Iron Chef America, in 2010.
- Her cookbook, Dirt Candy: A Cookbook (check out the trailer below), was the first graphic novel cookbook published in North America
- She was born in Ottawa and lived in Toronto before moving to New York to study at the Natural Gourmet Institute.