An imaginative vegetarian recipe from Dirt Candy: A Cookbook
- 1.5 litres (6 cups) carrot stock (see recipe below)
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) extra-virgin olive oil
- 250 ml (1 cup) diced yellow onion
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) minced garlic
- 500 ml (2 cups) Arborio rice
- 75 ml (1/3 cup) white wine
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) fresh lemon juice
- 250 ml (1 cup) carrot juice
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) diced carrot
- 45 ml (3 tbsp) unsalted butter
- 75 ml (5 tbsp) grated parmesan, optional
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) fresh thyme leaves
In a small pot over medium-low heat, simmer the stock. In another pan, start the oil, onion and garlic over medium heat.
Add the rice and cook, stirring until it’s translucent, about 7 minutes.
Add the wine and stir until it has evaporated, about 2 minutes.
Add the lemon juice and stir until it evaporates, about 1 minute.
Add 250 ml (1 cup) of the simmering carrot stock to the hot rice. Stir until it’s absorbed, about 5 minutes. Continue adding stock 250 ml at a time and stirring until it’s absorbed.
When you have 500 ml of stock left, pour the carrot juice into the simmering stock and let it come back to a simmer.
Add 250 ml of the stock-juice mixture to the rice and cook until it’s absorbed.
Add the diced carrot to the rice and then add the last of the stock, 250 ml at a time.
When most of the liquid has been absorbed, add the butter, 45 ml (3 tbsp) of parmesan, thyme and salt to taste.
Stir until the butter is melted.
Carrot stock recipe
- 1 litre (4 cups) sliced carrots
- 250 ml (1 cup) roughly chopped yellow onion
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 250 ml (1 cup) sliced celery
Put all the ingredients in a large pot with 2 litres (8 cups) of water.
Bring to a boil over medium heat, reduce the heat and simmer for 30 minutes. Strain and let cool.
Freeze for up to 3 months or store in the fridge for up to 1 week.